Get the best home extension builders in Melbourne to help with renovating or extending your home. They will help with incorporating energy efficient features that will reduce your bills and give you the added benefit of knowing that you are doing your bit for the environment. LGA Home Builders is one of the best house extension companies in Melbourne. We promote affordable and durable environmental solutions in residential design and construction. Here’s how you can improve the energy efficiency of your home and reduce energy costs with these tips:

Determine the Materials Used in Building Your Home Extension in Melbourne.

Materials that are of higher density like concrete, stone or bricks can provide sufficient thermal mass to store and absorb heat. This is used effectively to stabilize temperature shifts within a home by slowing the rate of heat transfer. This leads to heating and cooling bills reducing significantly.

Invest in Double Glazing

You should know that investing in double glazing is a great solution. Home’s can lose up to 40% of their heat and up to 85% of heat can be gained through windows and doors. This is great if you plan to have larger window panes. Also, you need to make sure that your windows and doors are airtight when closed and to reduce the number and size of windows on east and west walls to ensure that the largest windows are north facing.

Using Skylights

Use clerestory windows or skylights to increase natural lighting into internal spaces. This reduces the need for artificial lighting during the day. You should consider placement to ensure that you are not allowing excessive heat into the house during the hot summer months.

Install Energy Efficient Lighting

Try globes and LED lights throughout the home extension. These LEDs are the most energy efficient lighting choice on the market. Not only do they reduce energy costs for lighting but they provide exceptional light output that is long lasting and contains no mercury. You can choose from a variety of lighting needs, whether its bright white light to soft warm light. By selecting the right LED lights, using natural light and positioning lights strategically, you can drastically reduce energy consumption of the home.

Position Windows to Maximise Cross-Ventilation

When building your home, you need to ensure that you get proper cross-ventilation. This allows breeze to push out warm summer air that has built up during the day and you are sure of a natural  cooling method. This also minimises the need for air conditioning in the house.

Plan Shading

Eaves that are placed over north-facing windows can keep unwanted sun out in summer and allow the sun’s warmth to stay in during the winter. Verandas, windows awnings and pergolas along the north facing side of the house can provide extra summer shade.

Choose Energy Efficient Appliances

In most homes, you can determine that 40% of energy use is used for heating, cooling and hot water and the appliances and plug loads account for the remaining 60%. This is why you should select energy efficient appliances. Always look at the energy star rating when selecting your dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine and dryer. The use of energy-efficient appliances can reduce a home’s energy use. This emits less air pollution and it can even increase the resale value of your home.

Go all in, Use Solar

By using solar panels, it provides one of the most cost-effective forms of renewable energy for a home. They can power all the energy needs of a home which includes heating, lighting, hot water, appliances and cooling systems. Thought the initial spending cost of a solar system is relatively higher, it will save you a great deal of money in the future and make it a wise long term investment. The main goal is having a home that is energy efficient and it saves you a lot of money and energy while it creates a high degree of comfort for the residents and increases the resale value of the house.

If you are planning a house extension in Melbourne and would like us to help you make your dream a reality then connect with LGA Home Builders today. We have the experience, knowledge and elements needed to create an energy-efficient home. Call us at today at 0413 311 262.